Thank you for looking to adopt your next animal companion through PawsCo! By choosing to adopt, you will save a life and be rewarded with an incredible addition to your family.
All of the pets in PawsCo are housed in foster homes and are cared for by loving volunteer foster families. PawsCo has no shelter location or adoption center. If you are interested in meeting a specific animal, please fill out an application and our Adoption Team will contact you.
Adoption is a serious, lifelong commitment. Please make sure that all of the people and animals (and landlords) in your household are on-board with your decision to adopt an animal, and that you are prepared to train and work with the animal throughout the duration of the animal’s life. Adopting a new dog or cat companion is incredibly rewarding but also requires patience, love, positive reinforcement training, and commitment, and we ask our adopters to be serious about this decision before filling out an application or moving forward with adoption.
Also, recognize that there is a transition period for any animal entering your home. It will not be easy. Be prepared for the animal to “test” you, as a child does. Your new pet might misbehave; he’ll look for your consistency to show him how to act in your home. It’s up to you to use positive reinforcement training strategies to show him how to be a part of your family.
- Potential adopter fills out either a cat adoption form or a dog adoption form. (Please note: We do not accept out-of-state applications.) By filling out an adoption application, you acknowledge that you understand your new pet will take time to adjust to your home, and you will give the animal time to transition.
- A member of the PawsCo Adoption Team will call you to review your application within 48 hours. If the animal you’re interested in adopting already has a pending application, the Adoption Team will notify you that the animal is not currently available.
- Pending approval of your application (reference calls included), the Adoption Team will schedule a time for you to meet the animal within three business days.
- We ask for your adoption decision within 24 hours of meeting the animal. We are not able to hold an animal in a foster home for more than 48 hours after your adoption decision.
- If you decide to move forward with the adoption, the PawsCo Adoption Team will work with you to finalize your adoption and arrange for you to pick up your new lifelong companion.
- Within a week of adoption, the Adoption Team will sends veterinary records for the animal via email.
Most adoptions through PawsCo Adoptions take about one week from application to adoption. Please keep in mind that we are a 100 percent volunteer-run nonprofit and that we commit to returning all communication within 48 hours. We will respect your time, and we ask that you do the same when working with our volunteer team.
During every part of the process, PawsCo Adoptions is a resource for you, so please let us know if you have any questions. We are here to help you find a great fit for your family, but remember that bringing a new animal into your home is a transition that takes time and commitment.
All of the animals at PawsCo are spayed or neutered and are microchipped prior to adoption. Dogs at PawsCo are heartworm tested, placed on heartworm preventive, dewormed, and have received bordetella, DA2PP, and rabies vaccinations. Cats have received FVRCP and the FeLV/FIV test. Following adoption, you will be responsible for continuing your dog on heartworm preventive medication and updating all necessary vaccinations and other vet care needs as needed for your new companion.
Thank you for your interest in adopting through PawsCo. We look forward to working with you.