Thank you so much for fostering through PawsCo! By now, you and your animal are likely settling in, so we wanted to give you a heads up as to the next step in the process – the adoption of your sweet pup or kitty!
A couple things to note:
- If you think you may want to adopt your foster, you must email firstname.lastname@example.org within five days of receiving the animal, or as soon as you are ready to make that decision! Once we receive your foster bio sheet, we assume you’d like to move forward with listing your foster on all the sites and we will start taking applications for him/her.
- We do not hold pets for friends or for extended periods of time for adopters – anyone interested adopting, must go through the process. If you have a friend/family member who is interested in adopting, you can direct them to the PawsCo website to fill out an application and the adoption team will be in touch from there!
- Your pet cannot leave your care until an adoption is complete through the PawsCo Adoption Team
– The adoption process is as follows:
1. An interested party must fill out an adoption application on the PawsCo website.
2. A member of the PawsCo Adoption Team calls the applicant to review their application within 24 hours. The Adoption Team are committed to ensuring that the applicant will provide a loving, safe, life-long home for the animal they are applying for and they understand that great applicants come in all different shapes and sizes! We appreciate our fosters understanding and openness to great applicants as well.
3. The Adoption Team will reach out to the foster after an applicant is called and approved.
- You are asked to work with the team to schedule a time to meet the animal within 3 business days.
- The Adoption Team calls references
4. The Adoption Team will be at the meet and greet to handle logistics – you can focus on telling the applicants all about the animal you’ve been fostering!
5. At the time of the meet and greet, the applicant is approved to adopt through PawsCo. The meet and greet is to ensure that everyone is a great fit for each other! If all goes well, the animal can go home with the adopters at the end of the meet and greet.
6. Adopters can have up to 24 hours to make a decision before bringing the dog/cat home. If they decide to move forward, the Adoption Team will arrange logistics for the adopter to pick up from the foster.
We ask fosters to not tag an animal to foster for one week to ensure your home is open if there are any unforeseen issues with the adoption.
Most adoptions through PawsCo take about one week from application to adoption, and we ask for your promptness in working with us, as we are a 100% volunteer-run non-profit and commit to returning all communication within 24 hours. We commit to respect your time, and ask that you do the same for our volunteer team.
During every part of the process, PawsCo is a resource for you, so please let us know if you have any questions. We are here to help you find a great fit for your family, but remember that bringing a new animal into your family is a transition and takes time and commitment!
All of the pets at PawsCo are spayed or neutered, heartworm tested, placed on their first heartworm preventative, dewormed, have received their bordatella, distemper and rabies vaccinations (FVRCP and FELV for cats).